Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sting in the tail

Chhlam Samuth's survival was down to their three goalscorers. LtoR: Sunday Ayodele, Dauda Sanni and Olabode Abosede 
The penultimate day of the Metfone C-League still had a sting in the tail for one team. Prek Pra were one place outside the relegation zone going into Saturday, but they'd already played their quota of matches. So the outcome was beyond their control. They knew that if Chhlam Samuth could beat Kirivong then the Sea Sharks would stay up instead of Prek Pra, but it seemed a tall order with their coach, Jimmy Campbell, still with the Homeless team in Paris and Kirivong needing a win to snatch fifth place. The Takeo-based club sprang a surprise before kick-off, leaving their 13-goal striker Nelson Oladiji warming the bench and the decision came back to haunt them, and Prek Pra. With a large contingent of Prek Pra fans in the grandstand, it was Chhlam Samuth that gave notice of their intention with Sunday Ayodele heading one wide and then missing a second by inches. Ek Vannak screwed a great opportunity past the upright for Kirivong before the relegation-threatened side broke the deadlock on 18 minutes, when Dauda Sanni, looking suspiciously offside, stuck the ball in the net. Vannak was foiled again and at the other end, Olabode Abosede was in the right place at the right time to poke the ball home, after Kirivong keeper Koum Makara had pushed out a wicked cross from Sanni, straight to Abosede's feet, four minutes before the break. There was still no sign of Oladiji to give Kirivong a lift before Chhlam Samuth scored a third to wrap the result up seven minutes after the restart. A long ball over the top found Ayodele and with Makara slipping as he came out, the striker's shot rolled over the line to seal Prek Pra's fate. Vannak and Oladiji, when he finally came on, had efforts go close but it was the Sea Sharks who were celebrating their C-League survival at the final whistle, thanks to their contingent of foreign imports. In the day's opening game, National Police caused a minor upset, beating BBU 2-1. Two well-worked goals were the difference between the two teams until BBU claimed a penalty from Chhun Sothearath in time added on, awarded when Say Piseth stuck up a hand at a free-kick. Samuth Dalin gave Police a sixteenth minute lead when he got on the end of a fine passing move, and netted with a neat chip into the top corner. A similar move four minutes after the break gave Noun Borey an opportunity he didn't miss either to set Police up for an unlikely win.
National Police decided to stay on the pitch this week, and won their final match 
BBU, who began the season with a bang, ended it with a whimper 
Chhlam Samuth's 11-heroes who ensured their C-League survival with a 3-0 win 
Kirivong failed themselves and Prek Pra, losing meekly to Chhlam Samuth 

No comments:

Post a Comment