Monday, June 20, 2011

On the crest of a wave

Sen Soukey, happy to net the winning goal, but uncertain about how many goals he scored or the points his team won
Buoyant after their giantkilling act against Naga last week, Prek Pra's fans came out in large numbers, eager to witness another Metfone C-League success against fellow strugglers Chhlam Samuth. They didn't have to wait long to raise the roof when Mat Hasan showed some neat footwork to cut inside his marker and fire Prek Pra into an 8th minute lead, after a smart first-time ball from Philip Ali caught the Navy defence off-balance. On the half-hour, the noise level died when Chhlam Samuth levelled with a Ros Samoeurn looping header that evaded Prek Pra's diminutive keeper Sen Mansoth, who'd initially punched Olabode Abosede's strike into the air. It went even quieter six minutes before the break as the experienced Pov Samnang rifled a 25-yard free-kick into the top corner, giving Mansoth and Prek Pra no chance. This rollercoaster of a game continued six minutes into the second period as Adebayo Jimiv steamed his way through the pack to head home Sos Hanafy's corner kick with power, to ignite the Prek Pra fans once more. And on 68 minutes they simply couldn't control themselves as their team grabbed the lead for a 2nd time, when Sen Soukey sneaked in at the near post to get his head to a Soth Sa Aun corner that sailed inside the far post. Cue the celebrations. The cheering got even louder as the tiny Prek Pra keeper Mansoth dived full length to deny Meas Sophana another equaliser and his team rode the crest of the wave to record only their 2nd win of the season and leapfrog over Chhlam Samuth in the process.
Prek Pra, cock-a-hoop after their 2nd successive victory. No, that's not a ball-boy with the headband, that's their goalkeeper Sen Mansoth.
Chhlam Samuth fell into the bottom two with this 3-2 reversal
Referee Sang Sopheak giving new meaning to the terrace chant of 'tosser'

Dina grabs late, late winner

Tith Dina, scorer of 2 goals in National Police's 3-2 success
The first match in Sunday's Metfone C-League program was an entertaining five-goal affair that saw National Police take a two-goal lead, get pegged back by Kirivong before a late, late winner. Sophal Udom gave the Police a 15th minute lead in some style, cutting in from the left flank, body-swerving his way past a couple of defenders and burying his strike inside the near post. Not a bad way to kick-start the match into life. Kirivong striker Nelsom Oladiji can be a frustrating so and so if you are a Kirivong fan. He missed a hat-trick of chance's midway through the 1st half and at the start of the 2nd and Police made their opponents pay when Tith Dina sent a header in slow motion into the far corner five minutes before the break. At 2-0 down, Kirivong sensed a recovery when In Vichheka went looking for a penalty and duly got it when Sos Nasiet tapped his ankles. Even Oladiji couldn't miss from the penalty spot on 58 minutes. Oladiji then turned provider for the Kirivong equaliser on 74 minutes, when his deft touch gave Heng Koem Houng the easiest of tap-ins. Both teams missed opportunities at the death, Dina rolling his shot against the foot of the upright and Kirivong's Oladiji swinging his foot and missing completely when in space on the six yard box. As the referee put the whistle to his mouth, Police grabbed a dramatic injury-time winner as Tith Dina took advantage of a cock-up by Meak Chhordaravuth in trying to clear his lines and stroked the ball home from close range. It was rough justice on Kirivong after their fightback and Nelson Oladiji will be in for extra shooting practice as the teams now take a three week mid-season break.
The winning National Police team who moved into 5th place in the table
Kirivong will be licking their wounds during the mid-season break. They lie in 7th place.

No comments:

Post a Comment