Tuesday, April 12, 2011

OSAZE: I WANT TO SCORE 15 GOALS


Eagles Star Seeks To Become West Brom’s All Time Top Scorer
 
Peter Osaze Odemwingie has set his sights on smashing Robert Earnshaw's Albion record of 11 Barclays Premier League goals in a season.
 
The Nigeria international equalled the Welshman's 2004/05 'Great Escape' tally with his strike in Saturday's 3-2 win at Sunderland.
 
He is currently joint-sixth in the top-flight scoring chart, ahead of the likes of Manchester United's Wayne Rooney, Chelsea's Didier Drogba and Tottenham's Rafael Van der Vaart.
 
And he is still hopeful of beating his own personal best of 14 goals in a campaign -set in the French League with Lille - over the course of the final six games.
 
"Of course it will be written if I get more than 11 and I will be happy with that," said Odemwingie.
 
"But my target is still there to beat my own record, which was 14 goals in a season, and hopefully I can get there.
 
"It is just a plus for me that I am holding the record for the number of goals in the Premier League for West Brom.
 
"I'm sure one day someone will beat it - but hopefully I will get more than 11.
"There are still six games to go and it is possible to get 15 - especially if they give me every penalty!
"But Brunty looks confident and we trust him now with the kicks.
 
"But if we're winning 2-0 or 3-0 maybe I can ask him for the penalty so I can get more goals.
 
"But for now we're sticking to the game-plan and the target is still to achieve the objectives of the team and then my own rewards will come if I work hard for them."
 
The summer-signing came off in the second minute of stoppage time at the Stadium of Light and had nothing but praise for his team-mates as he watched them throw their bodies on the line in the closing stages to secure a precious three points.
 
"Yes, after games like this you never forget the atmosphere in the dressing room," he added.
"Everybody applauded the whole team for their efforts.
"When I came off I was still watching how we were defending our goal.
 
"I saw Paul Scharner tackling away and James Morrison going for a very determined header - and I was sitting and enjoying it.
 
"I was happy that we got the goals and three points away.
"For us it is a great achievement.
 
"We have 39 points and I think we need two more wins to be sure.
"We have tough games now against Chelsea and Tottenham, Newcastle away will be difficult, as will Everton at home.
 
"After the game the head coach mentioned to us that it was a great result but we're still not safe and we will still have to fight to stay up."
 
Odemwingie also insisted there is no great secret to tenth-placed Albion's upturn in fortunes other than good, old-fashioned hard work.
"We had the difficult period but then there came a sense of urgency," he said.
 
"Everyone knew we were going to lose out if we didn't stay up and that made everyone really concentrate on the job in training and in games.
 
"And with his character the head coach makes it clear that's the only way - and that is paying off now and everyone is working hard.
 
"I am happy for the team because it's first of all down to the hard work that's paying off.
 
"We can see everyone fighting for every ball, they are motivated, and we had Scharner and Mulumbu scoring on Saturday.
 
"They are defensive midfield players so that says a lot about the determination that is now in the team.
 
"A few players whose style of play might not be hard-working are now running up and down for the team and you think 'Okay, we really want it'."
 
And the former Lokomotiv Moscow man says Roy Hodgson's attention to detail has rubbed off on the players, as he also offered a little insight into the Hawthorns head coach.
 
"In the performances you can see a little bit of the seriousness and competition is back in the team," he added.
 
"First of all it's about his approach to the training process, which is very important.
"I remember once he mentioned how many minutes we had left in training and how he's not there to mess about in any of the minutes.
"Even if we have one minute left he is going to use it.
 
"But once training has ended he is another person. He walks with you and jokes with you and talks about different things.
"He is very calm.
 
"When he is serious and angry you can feel he wants you to do more, but he limits that."

No comments:

Post a Comment