Thursday, April 21, 2011

Stanley Okoro: National Assignments Come First


Almeria forward Stanley Okoro has told Complete Sports that national assignment comes first in his football career.

Okoro, who refused to not take personal glory for his contribution in the team’s win against the Black Satellites of Ghana, said he only played to instructions which paid off in the game.

 “I only went into the game to carry out instructions from the coach but the entire team from the goalkeeper to the strikers and even the bench played their part in the victory,” he said. “I must say that I am committed to the team and that 's why I am here.

The ambition of every player in any tournament is to win the top prize, which is the trophy, and it is the same for me.  We are here first of all to qualify for the World Cup and also win the trophy.

“We all share this dream and by the grace of God and hard work, we will realize our ambition. We are aware that there are several teams who are favourites, hoping to go to their countries with the trophy but we 'll not be deterred by the challenges posed by our opponents.”

 He adds: “As for me, I don’t like sitting on the bench because you feel more pressure than those on the field. At some point in the Ghana game, I wanted to collapse because my team was under a lot of attack but I just kept my face down and believed that we would win. Also, I like starting in all the games of competition I am involved in so that I can help my team mates.

 “Personally, qualifying for the World Cup means a lot to me and my career. I also nurse the ambition to play for all the national teams at the World Cup level. Now, I have played at the Under-17 level, definitely I will play in Colombia and then play for the Super Eagles at the World Cup someday. But right now, our ambition is to qualify for the U-20 World Cup because it means a lot to us, especially my home-based colleagues because playing and doing well in Colombia will open doors of opportunities for them and even for those of us already playing in Europe.”

The former Heartland of Owerri player knows that his ambition of playing at the U-20 World Cup in Colombia depends on the next game against Cameroun and he says that the team will definitely go for victory against their neighbors.

“Victory is the only thing on our minds against the Camerounians because it would guarantee our passage to the World Cup.  I also must admit that this win over Ghana has boosted our confidence level and we are playing for victory against Cameroun".

When told that the coach of the Young Lions of Cameroun has promised Nigeria hell and that they were not afraid of the Flying Eagles, he explained: “We watched the first half of the match between Cameroun and Gambia; and the Gambians played well but the Camerounians seemed to be better tactically but we will definitely beat them."

And giving a further assessment of Flying Eagles Group B opponents, Okoro noted that the Gambian team is also a very good side while expressing surprise at their loss to the Camerounians. He also said that having dispatched the Ghanaians, the John Obuh-led side will still have to approach the game with caution and avoid being over confident.

“My target is to start playing for my club as soon as I get back to Spain and I also hope that the issue of my work permit would have been sorted out so that I can help the first team that is currently battling the threat of relegation in the Primera Liga.

 Despite his inability to play for Almeria’s first team, Okoro said his game has Improved since moving to Spain. “My game has really improved technically and tactically. However, my lack of first team action is weighing me down but I am happy to be here to help the national team. But I thank God that I am doing well at the AYC."

He is also aware that the support the team gets from teeming fans could be an added advantage and called on Nigerians to continue to support and cheer the team at the match venue.

“Nigerians should continue to pray for us because this victory against Ghana has given us the confidence to go for the trophy. We are here to win the trophy and we will definitely achieve that.
Right now, I am the happiest man with this victory over Ghana. Victory is always good and I just thank God for giving us victory this game, I see us winning the trophy,” he concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment