Monday, February 14, 2011

I dread Aguero more than Messi — Olubayo

click to expand image
Adefemi Olubayo
Skoda Xanthi of Greece right-back, Adefemi Olubayo, made a return to the Super Eagles on Wednesday in the friendly international against Sierra Leone. The 2005 U-20 World Cup and Beijing 2008 Olympic Games silver medallist tells ‘TANA AIYEJINA about his plans... How would you describe your return to the Super Eagles?

Firstly, I have to give God the glory and thank the coaches for the trust in me. Before the match I checked on them (Sierra Leone) and I saw that they went to Cairo to hold Egypt to a 1-1 draw in an African Nations Cup qualifier. So I knew that they were a good side and we needed the match to win back the fans. This is just our first match and I believe in subsequent games, we will play more convincingly as a team. With that we will pull the fans to our side again.

Why did you leave France for a smaller Greek league?

I moved to Greece because I didn’t want to play in the second division after they (Boulogne) were relegated. So I had to go to Greece when the offer came. I spoke with the coach and he said he needed me and he promised me a lot of playing time, which has been happening. The game against Sierra Leone actually afforded Nigerians the chance to see me play again. That was why I went into the game with a lot of passion. I think the move is good for me, my family and the team. If the coach is satisfied with me, then I know the move is good for me.

Some big players have moved to Greece recently. Are you, therefore, hoping to stay long there?

Every player that moved to Greece had his own reasons for doing that. But mine is just to go there, get more playing time and shoot myself back to the football market after a not-so-good season with Boulogne. So I went to Greece to play regularly and prove to the world that I can play at the highest level. For me I am not in Greece for a long spell. I am in Greece to get my career on track and by the grace of God; I will return to central Europe soon.

There are still complaints about the Eagles defence and new players were tested during the match against Sierra Leone. Do you think Samson Siasia can solve this problem?

It doesn’t have to be a new player that can bring a turnaround to the defence but a new commitment, passion, discipline, understanding and attitude. Siasia is one coach every player would like to play for. With my little experience with him, I believe we have taken the right step. Very soon Nigerians will be seeing the most compact defence in the Eagles.

How are you looking forward to the Nations Cup clash against Ethiopia next month?

We will play the match in Nigeria, so we will have the fans behind us; I am talking about 150 million Nigerians in our support. For me, the three points is the most important thing and not the score line. It could be 1-0 or 2-0 but once it’s in our favour, we are okay. We have to keep winning our games. Don’t forget the group leaders Guinea will be coming to Nigeria too, so if we keep winning, then we can be sure of coming tops in our group and win a ticket to the 2012 Nations Cup.

How would you rate Lagos fans during the Sierra Leone match?

I am a Lagos boy but that is different from playing for the Eagles in Lagos anyway. But as a player who has attended the U-20 World Cup and the Olympic Games, I know how to respond if the fans are hostile. But thank God it didn’t get to that stage and we stayed focused throughout the match. Playing in Lagos was like a sort of home coming for most of the players, not only me. I think with what happened in training, during and after the match, this might just turn out to be the right place for us to be playing our matches.

Why were you dropped from the 2010 World Cup?

I don’t think I was dropped from last year’s World Cup because of incompetence. If you remember, I played five matches out of our eight qualifying matches for the Nations Cup and the World Cup. I should have played six matches but I got sick for the game against Kenya. It’s good to play but we all can’t play at the same time. That is bygones and I am back to the team now with new confidence and passion. Now I am facing a new coach and team, so I just have to stamp my authority and make myself a solid member of the team. That is my target for now.

Don’t you think not being at the 2010 World Cup after playing at the U-20 World Cup and the Olympics is a slight on your career?

I don’t think so because I have another opportunity with Brazil 2014 and I’m already looking forward to that. I started working towards that even before the match against Sierra Leone. All I need is to claim a regular place in the team and I will be laughing with Nigerians in Brazil.

You are reputed to have scored in every semi-final of the competition that you have represented Nigeria. I am talking about the 2005 AYC, U-20 World Cup and the Beijing Olympics…

(Cuts in) Before I answer your question, let me take you to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. We were in the dressing room just before our semi-final match against Belgium and coach Siasia jokingly said ‘hey Olubayo, you have scored in every semi-final match you have played for Nigeria. Maybe you could just do that today.’ I went there and in the 17th minute, I scored the first goal. It was unbelievable (laughs). The goal I scored against Morocco at the African Youth Championship semi-finals was like a surprise too. I was behind because that’s my usual position (laughs) but I just felt like moving forward and I found myself in their box, the ball came to me and I hammered it in. Well I don’t really know what is responsible for those goals but I think it’s a big achievement for me personally. It means I have scored in every competition I have played for Nigeria and it’s a big feat for a defender and I give God the glory.

You had some contractual problems at SC Rheindorf Altach of Austria in 2009. What actually happened and how were you able to resolve the issue eventually?

It was a long story but I remained strong and I thank my family, friends and colleagues for standing behind me. Actually I was at Rapid Bucuresti of Romania after the Olympics. They went bankrupt without telling me. They only told me after I signed a contract with them. After six months there, I didn’t receive any salary but as a professional who wanted to play in central Europe, I was patient. But FIFA rules states that after three months of work without pay, you can go on a free transfer. So I had to leave but they kept coming to me because they were down the table and they needed an experienced player like me to help them out from their bad position. I went to Altach but it didn’t work out the way I planned. Unfortunately Coach Shaibu Amodu called me for my first two caps for Nigeria. I played in the friendly matches against Republic of Ireland and France. From there, Boulogne came in but Altach said they had a contract with me. But I told them that I didn’t sign a contract with them. They picked me up from Rapid Bucuresti because they went bankrupt. How could I have signed a contract with you without playing any of your league games? They were not happy and we went to FIFA. FIFA checked the records and they saw that I was right, so they gave me permission to play for Boulogne.

What is your advice to young Nigerian footballers desperate to play abroad?

Firstly, all of us can’t be the Okochas and Kanus of this world. You have to live your life by yourself. Most young players believe they can only make a living only when they go abroad. They say don’t despise your little beginning. I think if they are having problems abroad, they should return home to sort things out. You have to start from somewhere to get to the top. Everybody cannot get to the top but you can still make the best out of wherever you are. So going to Europe and getting stranded is not the best for our footballers.

You have played against Argentine Lionel Messi twice at junior levels. What sort of player do you think he really is?

Messi is a very good player but there are several other players that I feel are better than him. Maybe it’s because of what he is doing in Barcelona he is rated above all others. For me, I feel Sergio Aguero is a smart player. If I go out there and say Messi is not a great player, people will shoot me (laughs) because of the love they have for him. But because I have played against him (Messi) twice, I will go for Aguero but still you can’t take anything away from Messi. He is the best player for now and I have to respect him for that.

Can you share your best and worst moments with us?

I have got a lot. I think the silver medal I won at the Olympic Games comes first because nobody gave us a chance before the competition. And also leaving Israel for Eastern Europe is also a happy moment for me. Worst moment? I don’t have any because I believe everything happens for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment