Wednesday, February 9, 2011

SUPER EAGLES TRILLING

TAIWO: I'M DONE WITH MARSEILLE!

Super Eagles left back, Taye Taiwo, has stated in clear terms that he will be dumping current French champions, Olympique Marseille, in the summer on a free transfer for an unnamed team in Western Europe who he has already agreed to join in the summer.

The former Lobi Stars of Markudi player, who has been overlooked in favour featured of Argentine defender Gabriel Heinze told Complete Sports shortly after the Eagles’ first training session at the Teslim Balogun Stadium that after he declined signing a contract extension with the club he has been in and out of the team.

“Well, the team has been doing well in the league. We are  trailing the leaders with about four points and I think we can still catch up with them. We have also qualified for the UEFA Champions League knockout stage so I could say that we’ve done well so far.

“I’m not bothered about the fact that my club coach prefers someone else to me. All I just need to do is to stay focused on the game and wait till the summer. For me I’m prepared to bide my time at Marseille till the end of the season so I could leave on a free transfer. I have signed a pre-contract agreement with a club that I would not disclose to you but I can assure you that I would remain in Western Europe,” the 25 year old defender said.

YOBO: I'M NOT GOING BACK TO EVERTON

Super Eagles skipper, Joseph Yobo, has ruled out the possibility of returning to his parent club Everton at the end of the season after settling down well with his Turkish side Fenerbache.

The 30-year-old centre-back, whose decision to play for the Super Eagles in last year’s African Nations Cup in Angola got him into the bad books of manager David Moyes, said he was never given an opportunity to prove himself and would not be willing to play second fiddle to any defender in the Toffees backline.

“I don’t think that I will be going back to Everton at the end of my loan deal but we still have to wait and see what happens in the summer. I don’t miss England that much as I’m settling down well here in Turkey,” he told Complete Sports on Tuesday.

 The defender, who captained the Eagles to the last edition of the FIFA World Cup in South Africa, played seven seasons at Goodison Park and made over 250 appearances for the Merseyside team, insisted that national team duties remain paramount in his thoughts as he hopes to end his career on a high by winning the African Cup of Nations before he eventually calls it quits the game.

He added:  “It’s a new dawn in the national team and I want to be part of that rebuilding process. At the last Nations Cup in Angola I wanted to help put an end to the bronze medals we have been winning in the past but unfortunately I got injured in the group but the team still won the bronze. I I hope to help the new team go a step further this time around but we must qualify first.”

MIKEL, ENYEAMA, ECHIEJILE ARRIVE

20 Players Now In Eagles Eko Hotel Nest


The Super Eagles camp witnessed the arrival of the last batch of players last night as the trio of Mikel Obi, Vincent Enyeama and Elderson Echiejile landed in Lagos for tonight’s friendly against the Leone Stars of Sierra Leone.

While Hapoel Tel-Aviv goalkeeper Enyeama and Elderson Echiejile arrived early in the evening and headed to the team’s Eko Hotel camp, Mikel was the last player to arrive around 7.30pm.

The Chelsea midfielder, who was in action for the club on Sunday, flew in aboard a British Airways flight, in the company of his agent, John Shittu.

No comments:

Post a Comment