Wednesday, February 23, 2011

THE STORY OF AN ACHIEVER

SHITTU: I WAS REJECTED FIVE TIMES BY CLUBS BECAUSE OF MY WEIGHT!

  Super Eagles Star, Danny Shittu Speaks On How He Was Mocked To Try His Luck In Rugby


EARLY LIFE
I was born on September 2, 1980 in Lagos, that was where I started my early life as a boy. One special thing that excites me about my parents was the other name given to me; they called me ’‘Oluwanisola” meaning God alone creates wealth. The meaning of that name is what really shaped my life right from when I was very young. It made me rely solely on God and know that I cannot do a thing on my own except God comes to my rescue.

I had a humble beginning just like every other young Nigerian boy growing up, my parents deserve a lot of respect for their efforts in raising me   alongside my younger ones. My mother would labour to make sure things go well for me and my siblings. It wasn’t easy for me growing up in Lagos but as fate would have it, I moved on to London where I started a new life.

While in London, I started my football career at Charlton Athletics where I was given the opportunity to play football as a youngster. I was later loaned to Blackpool in 2001 and later Queens Park Rangers.

While I was at Queens Park Rangers I was given the marching order on my debut; that is one funny moment of my career I won’t forget easily. Only few people believed I could make it as a footballer, some even advised me to take to rugby but I stuck to my dream.

VITAL MOMENT IN CLUB CAREER

My remarkable moment came when I was bought over by a fan of QPR for £350,000, his name is Harold Winton. He ensured that my wages were paid while at the club. That was a man that gave me the belief that I can make it as a footballer You see, what gave me the courage to go on as a footballer was the affection the club fans had for me then when I first came in.

They told me they are moved by my commitment. Most of us playing in the national team are just lucky, we are not the best footballers this country can boast of. There are millions of youngsters who never had opportunities or the funds to buy a pair of boots, all they depend on is that plastic ball that hurts your leg when you kick it. That was why I came up with that project that focuses on discovering talents.

FIRST PREMIER LEAGUE GOAL

I scored my first Premier League goal for Watford in 2007 against Reading. I am happy that I’m one of the defenders in England who comes from defence to score goals for my team. I scored a total of 9 goals for Watford while we were in the Premiership and I think that some strikers may not even score that much in a season.

BOLTON EXPERIENCE

JayJay is a king there and he is still worshipped till today. I think I was respected when I first moved to Reebok and the talk amongst the fans and officials alike centred on how Okocha turned things around for them under Sam Allardyce. But it was quite unfortunate that I could not stay on for too long at the Reebok due to several factors. Okocha’s fame did not in any way put me under any pressure even though I knew that a lot will be expected of me from all Bolton fans. I fell out with Megson at Bolton and so I had no other choice but to leave. Jay Jay has left a big shoe in Reebok which no man can step into for now.

WEIGHT

This is one aspect of my life that has generated lots of arguments among soccer fans and footballers alike. A lot of people think I am far too over weight to be a footballer, some even wonder how I manage to move myself and contest for aerial balls. But the truth is though I may look somehow overweight before people, it doesn’t mean I cannot run. I was rejected five times by clubs abroad due to my weight but I kept on believing in myself and my dream. You know how frustrating it can be to be rejected five times as a black player; you want to think its racism or something but I never allowed those disappointments to derail my vision. At the end of every trial, the coach would tell me bluntly to try my luck in rugby and I would leave the trial ground shattered but I was not going to give up just like that. I may not be the best defender in the land but what really worked for me then was my determination and combativeness during training and matches. I knew if I didn’t add that to my game it will be hard getting a club. You can always stun your detractors when you have God and hardwork.

MODELLING

Well, there have been reports that I am into modelling probably because of my size but all I can say here that I enjoy being a role model to the youths rather than going into modelling for now. I am into football and I have always said that all I want to do is play football. I am not into modelling.

BEST FOODS

A lot of Nigerian things. I’m the butter boy each time they hear me speak but unknown to many of them I remain a full blown Nigerian boy and I can speak Yoruba more than some of my tribesmen. I love eating Nigerian foods and my best food is Amala and gbegiri soup and my wife is such a great cook who prepares it well for me. You might say such local delicacies are not good for my weight but the truth is Nigerian foods are healthy and would save you from health hazards which some western meals give you. I try as much as possible to get Nigerian foods in London because the best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.

MARRIAGE AND FOOTBALL

One of the biggest challenges footballers face is spending time with our families. Football can be so demanding and as a full fledged family man I try as much as possible to spend quality time with my wife and my children. The best gift you can give your family is not just the money and comfort but it has to do with time; it is all about how much time you spend with your family. There will always be ups and down in life but I really thank God my wife has stood as a rock and support. My wife is my biggest fan and she will always encourage me to give my best to my country and club alike. She calls to congratulate me when we win and when things go bad she will be there to offer words of encouragement. At the last World Cup in South Africa, my wife, and family members were my inspirations before our game against Argentina.I am glad today that we were not disgraced in anyway.

MANAGING FEMALE FANS

That is no problem for me at all because all members of my family and my friends have different places they occupy in my heart. I try as much as possible to remain disciplined as a public figure. It is easier for people to pull you down through scandals than harass you upon reaching the top. It is not that easy for every footballer to enjoy some sort of privacy but I have learnt to be careful with women, most especially if you consider what is happening to top footballers around the world today. I know I can’t avoid greetings and appreciations from my female fans but I try as much as possible to avoid any scandal that can drag my family name in the mud. I am happily married and I love my family a lot.

MOTHER

Ah! That is someone that matters to me a lot. She was the one who struggled to raise me and my siblings when things were tough for all of us. She laboured a lot in her younger age to ensure that we all got the right education  together with the support of my dad. My mum is my role model, she taught me   to never give up my dreams irrespective of challenges that come my way. I wanted to take to football as a career but she was always saying ‘’go to college”

She also gave me the support to play football after school. Her love and affection was second to none but it hurts each time I remember how much she suffered to send us to college. It was not easy growing up with kids around Ebute-Metta but my mum gave us the right training.

BEST FRIEND IN SUPER EAGLES

I have lots of friends in the national team; Yobo is such a loveable and great guy and his humility continues to baffle me. He has played in several competitions yet he makes you feel important. Obafemi Martins is another funny guy because of the way he makes us feel relaxed in camp. But Dickson Etuhu seems to be my closest pal while in camp and that explains why we share rooms while on national assignment. Besides, we communicate regularly whenever we are in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment