Sunday, February 6, 2011

Torres blames broken promises

By ESPNsoccernet staff
Fernando Torres has claimed Liverpool's broken promises over the sales of their key players were to blame for his move to Chelsea.
Fernando Torres is the third most expensive player of all time
PA PhotosFernando Torres is the third most expensive player of all time
Torres moved to Stamford Bridge in a British record £50 million deal on transfer deadline day and is now set to make his debut against Liverpool. The Spanish striker has spoken at length about the reasons for his decision, but has now revealed that the motivating factor for his transfer was the 'message' sent by selling Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid and Javier Mascherano to Barcelona.
''I said that at that moment, I didn't think I would play for another club - because at that moment Liverpool were giving me what they promised ... but not now,'' he said.
''I think one of the important points is in my first two seasons at the club, they played in the semi-finals of Champions League and finished second in the Premier League, very close to Manchester United.
''Then we were very, very close to being one of the top teams for a long time because everyone was together and everyone was moving in the right direction.
''But when you let Alonso and Mascherano leave, that is a clear message. It was important, not so much for me, but for the club.''

Desperate Obinna Nsofor Desperate For More

Eagles Star Reveals Desire To Make Up For Red Card

West Ham striker Victor Obinna is desperate to make amends for his Carling Cup semi-final first leg red card against Birmingham who may line up Obafemi Martins against the Beijing 2000 Olympic star this Sunday.

The Nigeria international was dismissed for kicking out at Sebastian Larsson and with the Blues coming to Upton Park this Sunday wants to make amends.

“Definitely (I can make up for the sending off). For me that is my objective, to be able to contribute to this squad. I’m here to play, to give my best, to make sure that we win games,” he said.

“It’s not only Birmingham. We have 13 league games to play now, and every game is important for West Ham. Not only Birmingham.

“Any time I’ve been called upon to play, I’ll definitely make sure I give 100 per cent.”
West Ham brought in both Robbie Keane and Demba Ba, who will compete for a starting berth, but Obinna has no fears about his place in the side.

“I think I’ve proved myself to West Ham. I’ve not been able to score so many goals like everyone wants, ,” he said.

“I have to give more, because there are so many challenges right now.
“We have about six strikers at the moment.

“It’s for the best of West Ham because we are at the bottom of the league, everybody wants us to be where we’re supposed to be, because I think we deserve to be up.

“The most important thing is not about competition. It’s about being together, that’s what I believe. We’ll be together definitely. The sky will be our limit together.
“Any time I’m called on to play, I will definitely give my best.”

Eaglets Stars Home To Roost At Lazio


Two Nigerian youth players who were snapped up by Italian Serie A side, SC Lazio have reportedly settled in well at the clubside.

Lazio secured the services of former Golden Eaglets striker, Emmanuel Sani and Ogenyi Eddy Onazi, alongside a Brazilian starlet, Thiago, last week.

Officials of Lazio revealed on the club’s website that the players are already taking part in the team’s training programmes and are responding well.

Sani and Onazi were products of My People FC in Lagos, a grassroots clubside bankrolled by Pastor T.B. Joshua of the popular Synagogue Church of all Nations.

It would be recalled that Sani was voted best player at the FIFA U-17 World Cup hosted by Nigeria in 2009, following his outstanding performances for the Golden Eaglets at the Championship.

Lazio already have in its fold a budding Nigerian talent, Seyi Adeleke, who is already making a big impact at the club and is already making his new compatriots at the clubside feel at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment