Thursday, February 17, 2011

When two elephants fight: Arsenal vs barcelona big match

Wilshere: My best day yet

February 17, 2011
Jack Wilshere insists that Arsenal's 2-1 defeat of Barcelona at the Emirates stadium is the best moment of his career to date.
Jack Wilshere
GettyImagesJack Wilshere was a key part of the win.
Wilshere, 19, has cemented his place in the Arsenal starting XI this season and was also given his first start for England against Denmark. The young midfielder has impressed in the centre of the pitch and continued his rise with a fine performance against the Spanish champions.
"It has been a crazy last couple of weeks and this probably tops it. This has been my best day as an Arsenal player by far,'' Wilshere said. "It is not over yet. We have got the second leg and we have to go there and get a result and go through to the quarters.
"They had a spell of 20 minutes in the first half when we couldn't get the ball off them. We knew they were going to be like that, we just had to hold out and defend well and hit them on the counter-attack, and that's what we did."
Goalscorer Andrei Arshavin admitted that he had never heard an atmosphere like it before at the Emirates and told his team-mates to believe that they can get a result in the return leg at the Nou Camp.
"Barca controlled the ball very well but we did not let them play as usually they can and we took our chances to score two goals,'' Arshavin said. ''I thought if I have a chance I have to score and I did it. I am happy. That may be the best atmosphere since I joined Arsenal.
"It gives us confidence in the future but we still need to concentrate because Barcelona is going to be a very, very tough game. Without belief we can do nothing, that is why we must believe."

 

Gattuso charged after Jordan fracas

February 17, 2011

AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso has been charged with gross unsporting conduct, UEFA has announced.
Gennaro Gattuso and Joe Jordan and Harry Redknapp
PA PhotosGennaro Gattuso and Joe Jordan clashed during and after AC Milan's 1-0 home defeat to Spurs
Gattuso, the AC Milan captain, clashed with Tottenham coach Joe Jordan during Spurs' 1-0 Champions League win at the San Siro, and is now set to be punished by UEFA - with a lengthy ban likely.
UEFA's control and disciplinary body will discuss the case against the 33-year-old Italian on February 21.
Former Rangers midfielder Gattuso, who was booked during the match and also clashed repeatedly with Tottenham striker Peter Crouch, headbutted Jordan before being led away.
Gattuso had already been cautioned in the game for a rash challenge on Steven Pienaar, after which the Italian repeatedly hit the turf in anger.
That booking ensured that Gattuso will serve a one-game suspension, missing the second leg at White Hart Lane on March 9.
But that ban is certain to be extended when UEFA discuss the case.
UEFA rules stipulate a minimum three-match ban for assault, although the governing body have the power to dole out lengthier suspensions in exceptional cases.
Gattuso's agent Claudio Pasqualin has since stated that Jordan had used provocative language towards the midfielder prior to their clash. However, Spurs have declined to make an official comment on his claims.
Gattuso later apologised for his actions, saying: "I lost control. There is no excuse for what I did. I take my responsibilities for that.
"I didn't want to argue with players and I did it with him, but I was wrong to do what I have done.''

Yak Sure Of Leicester City

Leicester City front-man Yakubu Aiyegbeni firmly believes the Foxes can challenge for promotion to the Premier League this season, if they continue to play with the freedom they have shown in recent weeks.

The Nigerian hitman fired a sensational opener in Saturday's 2-0 win over local rivals Derby - his third goal in City colours since joining on loan from Everton last month.

Memorable goals have been a Foxes calling card in recent weeks and a clear indication of the confidence flooding through Sven-Goran Eriksson's ranks.

And the man they call The Yak reckons a pressure-free environment has been one of the secrets of the team's recent success.

He said: "The football has been great and you have to give credit to the manager for that. There's no pressure on any of us. He tells us to be patient and to enjoy the game, to pass the ball quickly but not be in a rush.

"If you look at the way we play - the determination is there, we play without pressure and we'll keep taking one game at a time so hopefully we'll be fine.

"When I came to Leicester I believed we could win promotion and now, there's a long way to go, but I still believe we can do it.
"For me to leave Everton and come to the club, I had to believe we could do it."

Having gone two games without a goal since his strike in the 4-2 win over Millwall, Yakubu was pleased to be back among the goals at Pride Park.

And with three goals from five appearances so far, Foxes fans will hope the former Portsmouth and Middlesbrough marksman can spearhead their side's promotion charge in the coming weeks.

Yak said: "The fans have been really nice to me, it's like I've been here for three to four years instead of two months so it's been really great.

"For a striker, when you score goals it gives you more confidence. You might go a couple of games without scoring, but when you get your next one the confidence is there again.

"I always believe I can score goals in any league, so I just try to do my best on the pitch.”

FULHAM STAR WARNS ETUHU

Steve Sidwell has warned Dickson Etuhu he faces a fight on his hands to regain his midfield spot.

The January signing from Aston Villa has filled the void in Fulham's engine room since the Nigerian suffered a hamstring injury last month.

However, the 28-year-old is nearing a return, and could be back in time for Sunday's FA Cup clash at Craven Cottage.

But former Chelsea star Sidwell insists he's not going to give up the shirt without a fight.
He said:"It's down to me to put the performances in. Once Dickson's fit, it's down to the manager to make a decision. All I can do is play well personally and play well for the team.

"There's still a lot to come from me. I'm getting fitter and stronger game by game, so I haven't hit my stride yet, nowhere near it.

"I'm three-quarters there. It's game situation and awareness that I'm lacking, fitness-wise it isn't really a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment