Thursday, May 5, 2011

Promotion Is Happiest Moment Of QPR Career


Danny Shittu was on cloud nine after getting an unexpected role in QPR's title-clinching team at Watford on Saturday - describing it as the happiest moment of his Rangers career.
The Nigerian, who was sent off at Millwall in March and then returned for the 4-1 drubbing at Scunthorpe, fully expected to be no more than a spectator at Vicarage Road, but events dictated otherwise.
Clint Hill's ankle injury promoted Matt Connolly to left back and 25 minutes into the game, Fitz Hall went off injured, giving Shittu a chance to play after all.
"I think if anyone had told me a couple of weeks ago it would end up like this, I would have thought 'probably not!'. It's been amazing to be involved in a day that will go down in history," said the big defender, who was determined not to allow the FA investigation to ruin his day.
"I was expecting just to be on the bench and to watch it all from the sidelines. To get called up so early was a bit of a surprise.
"But as a player on the bench, you've always got to be ready I was glad that it went right and that we were able to keep a clean sheet.
"Everybody knows I've got a long history with QPR and I think this experience definitely tops anything that has gone before.
"We've been through a lot and this was a special day – the day QPR finally gets back in the Prem and I'm so glad that I was able to play a part in it."
Shittu added: "I think the last couple of games have felt a bit of a letdown because we wanted to finish the job against Cardiff and then against Hull. Those made us want to finally clinch it with a win rather than a draw.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment