Friday, May 6, 2011

Yak: I Don’t Want To Return To Everton


On-loan Leicester striker Yakubu says he would welcome a permanent move to the Walkers Stadium from Everton.
The 28-year-old Nigerian has been at the Foxes since 13 January and insists he is happy at the Championship club.
He told BBC Radio Leicester: "I think I've had enough [at Everton] and I have to look for somewhere to go - I would love to stay [at Leicester].
"Hopefully I can settle things there and come back. If I could come and play for Leicester that would be great."
Yakubu has scored 10 goals in 19 appearances for Sven-Goran Eriksson's side in a four-month loan spell.
He moved to Everton from Middlesbrough for a club record £11.25m in August 2007.
"I had a great time at Everton but I think I have to move on," he explained. "I've had a great four months [at Leicester] and my season has been really good.
"It feels like home and I feel like I've been here for three or four years - I'm enjoying it.
"The players and the fans have been really nice to me and hopefully I will see them again."
And Yakubu insists he would be happy to ply his trade in the Championship next season after the Foxes missed out on a play-off spot.
"In the end we are disappointed not to get to the play-offs or get to the Premier League," he continued. "But hopefully next season the manager is going to bring in more players and I think next season we are going to be better than this season."
The Nigerian international added that he has not been fazed by being used as a substitute by Eriksson in some games.
"The manager believes in me and even when he rests me it's normal, he wants to give some other players a chance.
"When I came here I never said I was going to have an automatic shirt to play. You have to fight for the shirt, you have to believe and you have to produce every game - if you don't play well, you're not going to be in the team.
"To get a game and show people that I can score goals has been great.”

No comments:

Post a Comment